Current:Home > Markets9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief -WealthPro Academy
9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 06:19:08
FORT MEADE, Md. (AP) — Military-run hearings for accused Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two co-defendants at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, were in upheaval Wednesday following Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s decision to throw out a plea agreement.
Defense attorneys contend the plea deal still stands and suspended participation in the pre-trial hearings while legal challenges to Austin’s action play out. Prosecutors also raised the prospect that the pre-trial hearings might have to be frozen as lawyers look for explanations in Austin’s order and work through the issues raised by it.
The judge overseeing the case, Air Force Col. Matthew McCall, acknowledged concerns over outside pressure on the case. The plea agreement, which would have spared the defendants the risk of the death penalty, and Austin’s subsequent order, issued late Friday, have generated strong feelings, including among the families of Sept. 11 victims. The Biden administration came under heavy Republican criticism over the plea deal.
“If more political pressure is put on the parties to make a decision one way or the other,” that could build the case for illegal interference in the case, “but … it’s not going to affect me,” McCall said during Wednesday’s hearing. Reporters were able to monitor the proceedings from Fort Meade, Maryland.
The events of the past week are the latest significant disruption of the U.S. military prosecution of defendants accused in the 2001 killings of nearly 3,000 people, in an al-Qaida plot that saw hijackers commandeer four passenger airliners and fly them into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, with the fourth coming down in a field in Pennsylvania.
Set up as former President George W. Bush and his Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld pursued what they called the U.S. war on terror, the military commission trying the 9/11 defendants has struggled with some of the unusual restrictions and legal challenges of the case.
That includes the torture of the defendants while in CIA custody in their first years after being captured, leaving the commission still hammering out legal questions over the effect of the torture on evidence.
The new developments began unfolding last week after the Pentagon-approved chief authority over the Guantanamo Bay military commission, Susan Escallier, approved the plea agreement between the military-appointed prosecutors and defense attorneys, which had been two years in the making.
Austin said in Friday’s order that he was overriding Escallier’s approval and taking direct control of such decisions in the 9/11 case going forward. He cited the significance of the case.
Defense lawyers and some legal analysts are challenging whether the laws governing the Guantanamo proceedings allow for that overruling.
Some of the attorneys and rights groups charge that the Republican criticism of the plea deal, and criticism from some of the families of the victims, appear to have influenced Austin’s action. Austin told reporters on Tuesday that the gravity of the American losses in the al-Qaida attack and in the years of U.S. military intervention that followed convinced him that the cases had to go to trial.
Defense attorneys told McCall on Wednesday they considered the plea bargain still in effect. McCall agreed to excuse them from participating in the pre-trial hearings while expected challenges to Austin’s actions play out.
Gary Sowards, the lead attorney for Mohammed, the accused mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, warned the court on Wednesday that that process alone was likely to take up to two year, adding to the length of a troubled case already well into its second decade.
“To intervene in this most unusual way ensures total chaos from this point forward,” Sowards told McCall, referring to Austin’s action.
Walter Ruiz, an attorney for 9/11 defendant Mustafa al Hawsawi, called Austin’s order “an unprecedented act by a government official to pull back a valid agreement” and said it raises issues involving “unlawful interference at the highest levels of government.”
Ruiz said the defense chief’s move also raised questions “whether we can ethically continue to engage” in the Pentagon-run commission in the face of an action “that goes right at the heart of the integrity of the system itself.”
Under the plea agreement, Mohammed, Hawsawi, and fellow defendant Walid bin Attash would have entered guilty pleas in exchange for the government not seeking the death penalty against them. Defense attorneys stressed Wednesday the agreement would have committed the accused to answer any lingering questions about the attack from family members of victims and others.
After Wednesday’s tumultuous start, the hearing proceeded with the questioning of an FBI witness, with the active defense participation of only one defendant who had not taken the plea agreement, Aamar al Baluchi.
-
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Marcus Outzen dies: Former Florida State quarterback started national title game
- Coming soon to Dave & Buster's: Betting. New app function allows customers to wager on games.
- Tesla stock rises after CEO Musk scores key deals with China on weekend trip to Beijing
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Employer of visiting nurse who was killed didn’t protect her and should be fined, safety agency says
- 32 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas Under $10 That Your Mom Will Actually Use
- Bounce house swept up by wind kills one child and injures another
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- 1 person dead, buildings damaged after tornado rips through northeastern Kansas
Ranking
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Mexican journalist abducted and killed after taking his daughters to school: Every day we count victims
- Court case over fatal car crash raises issues of mental health and criminal liability
- Stock market today: Asian stocks follow Wall St tumble. Most markets in the region close for holiday
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Lawsuit against Meta asks if Facebook users have right to control their feeds using external tools
- Bucks defeat Pacers in Game 5 without Giannis Antetokounmpo and Damian Lillard
- Bear eats family of ducks as children and parents watch in horror: See the video
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
AI tech that gets Sam's Club customers out the door faster will be in all locations soon
'Succession' star Brian Cox opens up about religion, calls the Bible 'one of the worst books'
'An Officer and a Gentleman' actor Louis Gossett Jr.'s cause of death revealed
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
How rare Devils Hole pupfish populations came back to life in Death Valley
Arizona’s Democratic leaders make final push to repeal 19th century abortion ban
Employer of visiting nurse who was killed didn’t protect her and should be fined, safety agency says