Current:Home > ScamsNorfolk Southern will pay modest $15 million fine as part of federal settlement over Ohio derailment -WealthPro Academy
Norfolk Southern will pay modest $15 million fine as part of federal settlement over Ohio derailment
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 07:27:07
The federal government agreed to a modest $15 million fine for Norfolk Southern over last year’s disastrous derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, and the railroad promised to pay more than $300 million to complete the efforts to improve safety that it announced after the crash and address community health concerns.
The Environmental Protection Agency and Justice Department announced the agreement Thursday — two days after a federal judge signed off on the railroad’s $600 million class action settlement with residents whose lives were disrupted. In addition to the civil penalty, Norfolk Southern agreed to reimburse the EPA an additional $57 million in response costs and set up a $25 million health care fund to pay for 20 years of medical exams in the community. The railroad will also pay $25 million to $30 million for long-term monitoring of drinking water and groundwater.
“This settlement is historic in many ways and will begin to make up for some of the damage caused to the residents of East Palestine. And it would absolutely push the industry in the direction that we would like for the industry to go,” EPA Administrator Michael Regan said. “Again, if some of these provisions that we’ve secured and locked in had been in place, we may not even be where we are today. ”
Regan said the fine is the largest allowed under the Clean Water Act, and the railroad agreed to continue paying all of the cleanup costs.
But the railroad won’t face criminal charges, and this latest settlement won’t add anything to Norfolk Southern’s roughly $1.7 billion in total costs related to the derailment because the Atlanta-based company was already anticipating those costs.
Many East Palestine residents feel this settlement doesn’t do nearly enough to a company that just reported a $527 million profit in the fourth quarter of last year even with the derailment costs. The railroad’s CEO received $13.4 million in total compensation last year.
“Honestly, no amount can ever make this right, but it should be at least enough to hurt them a little bit. I’m sure that’s not going to hurt their bottom line at all,” Jami Wallace said.
But resident Misti Allison said it is encouraging to see the investigations and lawsuits against the railroad start to wrap up, and the cleanup is expected to be done sometime later this year.
“I think this is a great step, but let’s continue to make sure the community is made whole,” Allison said.
The safety improvements Norfolk Southern promised to follow through on include adding about 200 more trackside detectors to spot mechanical problems. It has also promised to invest in more than a dozen advanced inspection portals that use an array of cameras to take hundreds of pictures of every passing railcar. The railroad estimated that those improvements will cost $244 million through 2025.
A bill in Congress that would require Norfolk Southern and the rest of the major freight railroads to make more significant changes has stalled, although the industry has promised to make improvements on its own.
Norfolk Southern officials said they believe the relatively small size of this settlement reflects how much the railroad has already done, including paying $780 million in cleanup costs and providing $107 million in aid to residents and the communities affected.
“We are pleased we were able to reach a timely resolution of these investigations that recognizes our comprehensive response to the community’s needs and our mission to be the gold standard of safety in the rail industry,” CEO Alan Shaw said. “We will continue keeping our promises and are invested in the community’s future for the long haul.”
After Thursday’s announcement, the only remaining federal investigation is the National Transportation Safety Board’s probe into the cause of the Feb. 3, 2023, derailment. That agency plans to announce its conclusions about what went wrong that night at a hearing in East Palestine on June 25. Republicans in Congress have said they might be willing to look at rail safety reforms after that report.
The NTSB has said previously that the derailment was likely caused by an overheating bearing that wasn’t caught in time by the trackside detectors the railroad relies on to spot mechanical problems. The head of the NTSB also said that the five tank cars filled with vinyl chloride didn’t need to be blown open to prevent an explosion because they were actually starting to cool off even though the fire continued to burn around them.
The railroad is still working to resolve a lawsuit Ohio filed against it after the derailment.
veryGood! (13498)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Excellence Vanguard Wealth Business School: The Investment Legend of Milton Reese
- Is Teen Mom Alum Kailyn Lowry Truly Done Having Kids After 7? She Says…
- Chicago White Sox tie MLB record with 120th loss
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- New York City interim police commissioner says federal authorities searched his homes
- YouTube rolling out ads that appear when videos are paused
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Lace Up
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- A Thousand Lives Lost, and Millions Disrupted, by Flooding in Western Africa
Ranking
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Who plays on Sunday Night Football? Breaking down Week 3 matchup
- Olivia Munn and John Mulaney Welcome Baby No. 2
- Hilarie Burton Reveals the Secret to Her Long-Lasting Relationship With Jeffrey Dean Morgan
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- A’ja Wilson and Caitlin Clark are unanimous choices for WNBA AP Player and Rookie of the Year
- Nick Cannon Shares One Regret After Insuring His Manhood for $10 Million
- Search underway for suspects in Alabama mass shooting that killed 4 and injured 17
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
'Transformers One': Let's break down that 'awesome' post-credits scene
Defense calls Pennsylvania prosecutors’ case against woman in 2019 deaths of 2 children ‘conjecture’
‘Beetlejuice Beetlejuice’ scares off ‘Transformers’ for third week as box office No. 1
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
Alaska Airlines grounds flights at Seattle briefly due to tech outage
'Kind of like Uber': Arizona Christian football players caught in migrant smuggling scheme
The question haunting a Kentucky town: Why would the sheriff shoot the judge?